Wailua Sacred Falls Tour
Paddle and Hike in the Wailua River Area
*This five-hour guided tour is a wonderful waterfall adventure for the whole family,combining idyllic paddling on the Wailua River and a hike to a remote bridal-veil waterfall.
The Wailua River became the center of activity for early Hawaiians and is known as one of Hawaii’s two most sacred places.
At night, it is said that one can still hear ancient drums thunder in concert with the nearby surf. The trail leading to our sacred waterfall is a beautiful “greenhouse” where flowers, brooks and ferns abound. Swim by the waterfall.
The early Polynesian culture is represented here, steeped in a colorful past, rich with rock-wall terracing, legends and lore.
The setting for this jaunt is tranquil and tropical, the pace is unhurried. We delight in sharing the peaceful, pastoral existence of ancient Hawaii with you.
Bird watch for a night heron or coot.
Swim in the pools or stream leading from the falls (we don’t recommend swimming under the waterfall due to falling rocks).
Come share the life and natural history of this mystical land and enjoy its great quiet with us!
Watch a Video Preview of the Wailua Sacred Falls Tour
Tour Overview and Highlights
When And Where:
- All Year, except Sundays
- 2 person minimum opens a tour — reservations recommended in advance
- Check in at the Wailua River Marina, (on the same southern banks of the Wailua River, where Smith’s Motor boats launch)
- 3 Tour Timess
- Check In: 7:45 a.m. or 9:00 a.m. or 12:15 p.m.
- This activity is rated “Family Friendly” and considered to be very relaxing and safe
- Great for individuals of all ages, couples and families
- We do not take children under 5 years!
- Participants should be comfortable in the water and enjoy hiking along a flat river bed
- More or less, five hours of easy sightseeing, paddling, and hiking
- Guide(s) State certified and trained in water safety.
- Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) i.e. life preservers.
- Double sit on top kayaks
- Water resistant bags
- Walking sticks
- Scrumptious, mouth watering deli sandwiches (turkey, roast beef, ham, salami, or vegetarian)
- Chips, tropical fruit and cookies
- Refreshments of tropical juices, sodas and bottled water
What To Bring:
- Sun protection
- Light shirt
- Bathing suit
- Footwear for a trail that can be muddy at times (aqua socks or tennis shoes)
- Towel and change of clothes
Before you sign up, please be aware…
At different times of the year the waterfall can be vary in volume from a trickle to impressive force.
Since 1988, when we first pioneered and began offering this tour to the public, a lot has changed. The main change is that the “Secret Falls” is today the best known “secret” on the island. Nevertheless, we feel our guides will help you enjoy this tour for the paddle, serenity, and scenery you will stumble upon as you discover and share with many others, one of the best kept known secrets of Kaua’i!
Any time of the year make sure children and adults are up to the potential slip and slide on the trail!
This tour is doable by most people in average shape. If for any reason the paddle and/or hike portion is not accomplished by individuals, there is no refund.
Kayak Kauai observes a firm 24 hour cancellation policy (except a 48 hour cancellation for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours). Any cancellations within 24 hours (or within 48 hours for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours) will receive no refund. Cancellations made by Kayak Kauai due to inclement weather conditions are 100% refundable.
Safety is no accident and on every tour we pay special attention to this fact. That said, travel insurance is not a bad idea, especially if a “dark cloud” decides to follow you. Find a company that offers medical, security evacuation and rescue services in the event of a medical or security emergency.