Kapa‘a | Sleeping Giant Hiking Tour
Nounou Mountain Sleeping Giant Hike
This is one of the most satisfying hikes in all Kaua’i with ready rewards all along the way.
On the lower reaches you will go through one of the largest groves on Kaua’i of stately Cook Island pines growing on the western flanks of this charming mountain.
To name a few, bird watch for Brazilian cardinals, shama and melodious laughing thrushes.
Shade is the rule with great vistas from the ridges over Kapa’a, with the possibility on a clear day to see the distant island of Oahu to the Southeast.
The reward at the end, panoramic views of the hinterland of the Wailua Homestead and the awe-inspiring fluted ridges of Mount Wai’ale’ale draped in the clouds beyond.
At the summit we will pause and lunch.
Watch a Video Preview
Tour Overview and Highlights
When And Where:
- All Year — Monday thru Friday
- Check In: 8:00 a.m., at our Wailua River Marina Shop — on the same southern banks of the Wailua River, where the Smith’s motor boats launch
- Moderate to easy
- Trail Time: 3-4 hours
- Road Time: 30 minutes
- Day packs
- Deli lunch:
- Turkey, roast beef, ham, salmi, or vegetarian
- Chips + tropical fruit + cookies
- Refreshments of tropical juices and bottled water
What To Bring:
- Sun protection
- Light shirt
- Sweatshirt or light jacket
- Trail food/snack
- Bathing suit
- Footwear (light hiking boots, sports sandals, or athletic shoes)
- Rain gear
- A camera and binoculars
- Towel and change of clothes
Kayak Kauai observes a firm 24 hour cancellation policy (except a 48 hour cancellation for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours). Any cancellations within 24 hours (or within 48 hours for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours) will receive no refund. Cancellations made by Kayak Kauai due to inclement weather conditions are 100% refundable.
Safety is no accident and on every tour we pay special attention to this fact. That said, travel insurance is not a bad idea, especially if a “dark cloud” decides to follow you. Find a company that offers medical, security evacuation and rescue services in the event of a medical or security emergency.