Wailua River Kayak Rentals
We are the exclusive outfitters for this river — home to the Secret Falls.
Strike out on your own and rent a double and car top the short distance from the convenience of our Wailua River Marina location; across the Wailua bridge to the launch area at Kaumuali’i State Park,
Forty five minutes of paddling can bring you to the South Fork and the well trodden trail leading to the Secret Falls. Spend lunch by the waters of the Secret Falls. Or bypass the North Fork and keep to the South Fork for another 15 minutes and paddle by the romantic Fern Grotto (Fern Grotto itself- is presently off limits to kayaks) to a wide open meadow.
*We are only permitted to rent 6 double kayaks per day. Kayaks plying the Wailua River have “special permits” and are only rented during daylight hours.
Kayaks are dispatched ONLY from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Overview and Highlights
When And Where:
- Pick Up: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- All Year — Monday thru Saturday (No Sundays)
- Check in at our Wailua River Marina Shop — same side where Smith’s Motorboat launch
- Double kayaks with State permit
- Back rest
- Life preservers (PFD)
- Car racks
- Float plan consultation
- Bow line
Frequently Rented Together:
- Dry bags
- Hiking sticks
What To Bring:
- Sun protection
- Light shirt
- Bathing suit
- Footwear (aqua socks or tennis shoes)
- Towel and change of clothes
- Lunch and refreshments
- Waterproof camera
Paddling Rules of Order
One of best tips you can leave us is observing these following tips:
- Make sure you have and wear your life preservers (i.e. PFD: Personal Flotation Device).
- When in doubt, don’t go out. Turn around and sign up for one of our river tours.
- Give plenty of space to any aquatic birds that you may encounter on the river. Some of our native aquatic birds are endangered.
- Paddle your trash in…paddle it out! Show Aloha and carry out as well, any other trash not your own.
- If the river is turning muddy it’s a sign of flooding up river. Immediately seek higher ground if on land and get off the river if on the water.
- Observe caution and do not paddle further upstream if you feel you are having a hard time “bucking a current”. Our rivers are generally in repose, and characterized as docile with little current.
- Keep to your float plan.
Kayak Kauai observes a firm 24 hour cancellation policy (except a 48 hour cancellation for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours). Any cancellations within 24 hours (or within 48 hours for all Na Pali Coast kayaking tours) will receive no refund. Cancellations made by Kayak Kauai due to inclement weather conditions are 100% refundable.
Safety is no accident and on every tour we pay special attention to this fact. That said, travel insurance is not a bad idea, especially if a “dark cloud” decides to follow you. Ripcord offers medical, security evacuation and rescue services in the event of a medical or security emergency.